Share the ride.
Carpool and Vanpool
There are lots of great reasons to carpool. You can save money, help keep the air clean, keep miles off your car, reduce stress and take cars off the road — just by sharing the ride with one other person.
WAY TO GO has free tools to help you get started.
Tips for a Successful Carpool
- Get to know your carpool group. If this is a new carpool, suggest a meetup at a public place, like a coffee shop.
- Set a schedule. Decide which days you want to carpool and if you’ll take turns driving. If one person does most of the driving, decide on the amount and method of reimbursement. The Federal Standard Mileage Rate is a good place to start.
- Decide on some ground rules around smoking, musical preferences and food and drinks in the car.
- Communicate! Share your contact information and make sure you alert your carpool if you have a change in plans.
- Be sure to check your insurance policy to make sure carpool members are covered.
- Be flexible, considerate and patient. Plans change, and you may need to adapt.